We’re excited and honored to introduce our first jewelry designer, Diana Garcia! The mentoring and collaboration process with Diana is already in the works — keep an eye out for the debut of her first collection on our site and social media channels. To introduce her to the community, we’re playing 20 questions with Diana. Check out her fun responses below and get to know our very talented designer!
Name: Diana Garcia
Occupation: MFA Jewelry and Metal Art student at Academy of Art University
Location: San Francisco, CA
1. Dream job:
My dream job would be a jewelry designer of my own brand.
2. When and how did you realize your calling for the arts?:
Since I was child I loved doing crafts. It was very basic stuff, but I remember creating presents and things for my room. Over time, this has turned into a passion. I have dedicated much time to study and learn to apply this to my own work.
3. Most valuable lesson learned as an artist:
Trust your instincts. Art is very subjective, so many opinions will emerge around it.
4. One song that inspires your artwork?/ What song do you play most on Spotify?:
A song that inspires my artwork is “Que bonito” from Bomba Estereo, a Colombian band. Guilty pleasure: the song that I play all the time in Spotify is “Drunk in Love” by Beyoncé.
5. What show do you binge watch on Netflix?:
Right now, it’s “How I Met Your Mother”, but it used to be “Breaking Bad” and “Mad Men”.
6. What’s the last book you read?:
#Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso.
7. Favorite fashion designer:
Wow! It’s difficult, but I will say Alexander McQueen.
8. One celebrity who you wish would wear your designs:
9. Describe your personal style:
Is a combination of comfortable clothes with trendy pieces. I have a lot of basics, which are timeless, and I combine them with my trendy pieces. I would say that my trendy article of clothing for the winter season is my Poncho!
10. If you could wear one accessory for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?:
A pair of earrings! I can not leave home without them.
11. One fashion trend you wish would disappear:
Overalls! It was something that I used to wear when I was a kid. But to wear them now as adults — I just don’t get it.
12. A quote that you live by:
I have a few: “Nothing is impossible”. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone”. “La vie est belle”. But the most powerful weapon of self motivation that I have are the “Rules of a Creator’s Life”:
13. Favorite thing to do in your free time:
Crafting or watching a movie.
14. Favorite San Francisco hot spot:
Dolores Park on a sunny day!
15. What’s your spirit animal?:
I would say a horse. They represent the inner strength and driving force in life.
16. Most embarrassing moment?:
When I fall in the street — happens often!
17. The last thing I Googled was:
Princess Diana’s Sunglasses (I’m doing homework).
18. What’s in your purse?:
Lipbalm! I can not live with out it. Wallet, keys, cellphone, sketchbook and sunglasses.
19. A secret talent that few people know about:
Cross-stitching! My grandma taught me when I was a child and I love it. Lately, I have been trying to create some new patterns.
20. Heels or flats?:
I love heels, and I think they make an outfit look great, but since I’m living in San Francisco and live in the hills, my best friends are flats.